Unity Credit Union Limited are among 16 credit unions across the country offering the MYCU debit card and checking account. The MYCU debit card is part of the Mastercard network and is now available to members.
To mark the occasion, electronic payments company CUSOP commissioned a survey of 1,000 people that highlights the high level of public trust in the credit union movement, showing:
● 65% of the general public trust credit unions more than their local bank – this figure rises to 86% among credit union members
● 71% of people would use a credit union for a debit card or checking account if they didn’t already have one
● 75% of credit union members would like to be able to speak to someone directly at the branch if needed
Pictured: Tom Morrissey Limerick and Ahane GAA, Laura O’Dea BDO at Unity Credit Union, Dan Morrissey Limerick and Ahane GAA
The study also looked at the impact of the pandemic on our saving, spending and financial planning habits and found:
● Nationally, the average amount of money saved in the last 18 months was €4,219
● Regionally, the average amount saved was highest in Dublin, at €5,223.
● Leinster were in second place with €4,537, followed by Munster with €3,872 and the average saved in Ulster/Connacht was the lowest at €2,973.
● 6% of credit union members have saved more than €20,000 in the last 18 months, which drops to 4% of the general population
● Asked to choose from a range of options on what to do with the money, such as spending on a vacation, helping friends or buying a car, 42% would choose to keep their savings
Pat Owens, CEO of Unity Credit Union Limited, commented: “We were delighted to see the research results which reinforced the message we are hearing in the field, that there is a very high level of trust among the public in what we do in the credit unions across the country and we’re so proud to be a part of this and this new blueprint for the future of the movement”.
To learn more about Unity Credit Union’s MYCU Debit Card and Current Account, visit www.unitycreditunion.ie/mycu
Photo: Tom and Dan Morrissey Limerick and Ahane GAA